Nowadays, Canada attracts immigrants from around the world. According to Canada’s Immigration Program we have the highest per capita immigration rate, with more than 250,000 permanent residents coming every year. Various people choose to come here because of the growing economic and social opportunities major cities provide:
1. Universal Health Care – When you feel pain or discomfort, you can walk into any clinic with your health card without worrying about the cost since most health services are free. However, this only applies to permanent residents or citizens.
2. Social services – Canada has a myriad of services such as job search assistance and English language training. When you lose your job, you can get Employment Insurance, and if you are not employed for an extended period of time, there are government welfare programs that provide money for basic needs.
3. Free education – In Canada, teacher to student ratios are kept at reasonable levels to meet effective instruction and economic balance. Moreover, books are widely available through public libraries.
4. Equal Rights – A major benefit of immigrating to Canada is the right to work and live anywhere in the country. Under the law, all citizens and permanent residents have equal rights (i.e. to public schooling or health care), regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and more.
5. Financial Aid – Whether it is to cover basic needs, pay for postsecondary studies, or invest in a business, the Government offers opportunities to receive financial help for those who need it.
These benefits make Canada a great location for immigrants around the world. There are many services available out there; if you want to find out more about these benefits visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website or ask a settlement counselor at the Centre for Spanish Speaking Peoples at 416-533-8545.